When on holiday, and sometimes after a very long journey to get here to glorious West Wales, it's nice to plan a few days of relaxation without getting back into your car.
So, here are our top tips for 5 things to do or places to go where you can just leave your car keys behind for the day!
1. The Cwm Tydu to Cwm Soden Butterfly walk, taking in the magnificent waterfalls and 'secret beaches' of Traeth Soden and Castell Bach:
Walk from The Cwtch, following a beautiful footpath through the trees, alongside the Afon Soden through Nanternis and join up with the Butterfly Walk. This secluded National Trust-owned valley is home to the rare Pearl-Bordered Fritillary Butterfly, where work is ongoing to allow this area to remain one of the few sites where this beautiful butterfly can be seen. You may choose to return back to The Cwtch via the neighbouring village of Nanternis, where scenes from the 2008 film about Dylan Thomas, 'The Edge of Love', were filmed. This walk may take 2-3 hours, or longer depending on how long you linger on the beaches and coastal path, relaxing, picnicking or looking for dolphins and seals. Read an earlier blog about the wildlife I encountered doing this walk last summer....
A laminated map can be found in the information pack in The Cwtch.
2. Take the Cardi Bach Bus from the village to one of the beautiful local beaches, then walk back to The Cwtch along the coastal path. Depending on how far you want to travel, you could visit Tresaith, Llangrannog, Penbryn, and New Quay this way, or any other of the places that this cute little bus stops at on its journey from New Quay to Cardigan. Dogs can come too! The timetable can be found in the information pack in The Cwtch.
3. For a simple morning or evening walk from the door, a circular route around the village, taking about 30 minutes, will start or finish your dog-walking day. Strolling along quiet lanes, spot the wildflowers, hear the birds and enjoy the most amazing sunsets towards Cwm Soden on a clear evening.
Extend your walk a little further and visit our local pub in Cross Inn, The Penrhiwgaled Arms, for a pint and some food. About 20 minutes on foot. TAR cars, our local taxi service (also situated in the village) could always pick you up if you stay a little too late for waking back!
4. If you've brought your bike with you, why not try the Green Seas and Honey Bees Cycle ride? A lovely 23 mile ride, taking in New Quay, Cwmtydu and Llangrannog, with a visit to New Quay Honey farm en route.
5. Visit Pot-Sian Pottery Painting Studio, just a short stroll from The Cwtch. Have a go at painting your own mug, bowl, jug or soap dish! There are so many things to choose from. Sian will fire your pottery, which can then be collected a few days later, or posted to you.
Here are my efforts from a visit... not bad for a first go, and very enjoyable and relaxing it was too. Pot-Sian also sells a wide range of gifts and homeware, including the lovely Melin Tregwynt Wool wall clocks and Lavender mice - The Cwtch models one of each of these lovely items.
So, visit us sometime soon and have a few car-free days!